Monday 24 January 2011

My Flood Relief Effort - Another Stool Project

On the way home today I got to thinking how I can help out with the flood relief efforts. I can't be there during the day to clean up as I have a full time job that needs me right now. So, during some quiet time I began to recall the "Three T's" from some bible reading I was doing recently. It's all about sowing into other people's lives - we are blessed to bless etc. The three t's are Time, Talent and Treasure. Now time is something I have but not when the cleanups are happening. Treasure, yup got that too but what I have wouldn't get very far with such an enormous task as cleaning up and rebuilding Queensland. That leaves me with Talent left and I've been told that I've got a little bit of talent when it comes to making things.

I tossed a few ideas around about what I could make and how I could then generate money from that in order to give the entire lot to the Premiere's Flood Relief Appeal. I have, for the past number of months, been working on 43[cubed], a unique stool project that will feature some collaboration with local textiles designers but had to put that on hold with everything else going on right now. During the process of researching natural connections I had begun drawing some rather organic shaped stools - also under the same design confines as 43[cubed] - that I'd planned on realising late 2011.

I've now decided to swap the projects around and bring the late 2011 project to reality in the next couple of months, if not sooner (provided I can get things sorted)

So, here's the low down:
- I will make 3 to 5 stools that commemorate the 2011 flood disaster in brisbane. Each capturing the natural landscape and spirit of South East Queensland
- I want to use recycled materials from the flood affected areas. If you know of anyone with hardwood they are throwing out or see some, please let me know. Floorboards would be a perfect stock material to use for this project. I see using materials from the flood as a perfect way of taking the massive destruction and turning it into something useful and beautiful.
- I am seeking textiles designers to collaborate with for the seat cushioning
- I am seeking individuals and business to help promote the fund raising side of things
- I will be having an online auction (1 each for each stool)
- 100% of the proceeds will go the the Premiere's Flood Relief Appeal.

If you are out there and you can help with any of the items above or you would like to get on board with the collaborative aspect please contact me. I did see 'Drift Cafe' ripping up their flooring the other day and today I saw a massive pile of flooring stacked outside. If you are connected with David Moore or the Drift Cafe please let them know about this project. I'd love for them to be a part of it. Equally, if you know of any other businesses in a similar situation that would like to come on board I'd greatly appreciate the information being passed on.

Stay tuned for more information as I get things sorted out. I will be uploading sketches of some potential stools in the coming days/week.

No comments: