Wednesday 17 March 2010

New Power Tool

Tonight I took a trip to Bunnings to get a new power tool. I've been looking for a compressor or airless spray gun for some time now to assist in the finishing of various projects. However, up until now I've had no real justification for making the purchase. Sure, I've got a professional spray gun, hoses and moisture control devices but these are useless without a decent compressor. Looking at the $400 starting point for a compressor that can give the right flow rates and tank volumes I decided to focus more on the airless systems.

It turns out that there are really only a few brands even worth looking at when it comes to HVLP (high volume low pressure) airless spray systems. One of the best sites I came across for comparing different systems was airless.com.au. They seemed to have everything you could ever want in the airless spray market with items ranging from $80-10,000. Being on a budget I had to look at the final use, frequency of use and convenience factors with a limiting budget of $200. I set this limit as I will eventually get a compressor also, but it won't be a large belt drive unit - rather it will be a direct drive unit with about 2.5hp and only 40L capacity. Serving me enough juice for tasks such as air nailing, sanding, grinding where the flow rate isn't as critical as spray painting.

I digress, the options available to me for the airless spray system came down to the Bosch PFS55 and a few of the Wagner units. Thanks to airless.com.au I was able to compare all of the Wagner units in one hit, along with their prices. The Bosch PFS55 while looking sexier didn't really have the specs on paper to compete with the Wagner 180P. Decision made - that was easy.

Earlier tonight when I got home from work I put in a few calls to Bunnings to see if they would price match. They have a price matching policy where they will beat any advertised price by 10% on an identical stocked item. Indeed this is true but they don't normally match web prices, well at least this is what I was told over the phone initially but the guy on the other end changed his mind and agreed to match the price.

A quick bite to eat with the wife and foreign student and before you know it I'm in the car (with the dog) and headed across town to Bunnings. Going to any hardware store is like taking a small kid to a candy store for me and I tend to drool over the kewlest of gadgets and useful (sometimes not so useful) items. I've already ear-marked a handful of next purchase items including a table saw that has a router and jigsaw mounting system built into the table top. This unit alone will saw so much space and loads of time making individual table top jigs and mounts.

I'll have to wait a few days for the weekend to arrive though before I can put the Wagner through its paces. I am expecting that I will have this cabinetry completed this weekend and moved upstairs to its final resting place. Moving the fish tank upstairs is a whole other issue which is sure to present a rather unique set of challenges.

Time to go now though and begin making a materials list for the king bed. There's a Big Red Shed trip planned for Saturday and I wanna be in and out so I can get back and get the Wagner out. The best thing about this tool is that not only can I use it for paint but I can also use it for oiling, staining, varnishing etc etc.

No comments: