Sunday 14 March 2010

Newest additions to the family

So this morning we were out at the markets and I was admiring all of the old hand tools on offer. Silly me though forgot to get some cash before we went and of course no one takes cards. So, looking and drooling is all I could do. Everything from hand drills to edge planers with mm adjustments to a simple combination square.

After spending the rest of the morning at my father in-laws place with some coffee and morning tea I was handed some rather nice tools as a gift we when went to leave. The little beauties will be put to good use in the coming months.

One is an 'Anant no.5' and the other a 'Record no.5 1/2'.

Anant dates back to to 1949 and had its humble beginnings in a 100 sq.yd building under the leadership of Sh. S.P Chopra, a mechanical engineer by trade. With over 50 years in the industry the company still exists and is still run by the family, Mr Anil Chopra - the son of C.P. Chopra.

At this stage I don't know much about Record Hand Tools but I'm sure I'm going to be spending some time at this site while I try to date the planer. I have a feeling that I will be on the look out for more Record Hand Tools as I find out more about them. The prices on these items at the markets is insanely cheap, yet according to a few sources they could be quite rare and valuable. (oh no, that's all I need - another hobby collecting rare tools).

Time to end this post though as the fish tanks are screaming out for a water change and I really should spend some time finishing off the cabinetry. Hopefully next weekend I can take a trip to the Big Red Shed and Carbatech.

For now, here's some eye candy of the new bad boys taking pride and place in the workshop.








No comments: