Tuesday 21 September 2010

Window Bed

As part of the process for setting up the nursery I wanted to make a window bed so that my wife had somewhere to laydown and rest while being with the baby. Looking at the most material efficient way of doing it I came up with the plan to rip two sheet of flat stock up the middle and stick it to a stud frame. One weekend later and voila, we have a window bed - sans padding. I've got the padding in the workshop ready to be cut to size and the convered but I'm awaiting a loan of my mother in-laws sewing machine.

The window bed has 4 large hinged lids that open up to give direct access to the storage compartment underneath. I've built it in such a way that the two halves could be separated if required - which I envisage will happen as the baby grows and moves into a proper bed. Only time will tell if we end up changing the layout of the window bed or not.

For now, the eye candy:

No comments: